And so I thought of building a tiny little web application to build a library management system based on rails and mysql.
The idea is that, it would be a web based application to manage the library from an staff member's point of view. At a later stage, there would be an additional viewpoint from the library visitor, to search for books, request for issue etc...
I also intend to build a page which could be used to issue out or receive books (as a library transaction).
Here is a summary of what I have thought this application would do.. to start with...
- Keep stock of books
- multiple copies of book allowed
- Allow searching for books in library
- search on meta tags
- allow books to be issued out.
- keep track of date of issue
- Expected date of return
- Allow to add books
- Rename, replace, add remove copies etc.
- Books overdue on a given date
- Members with overdue books
- Books that are most probable to go overdue
- Members most responsible for overdue books
Well, thats the very first stage of requirement thinking that has been done.